On Tuesday, August 2, 2016, the Escanaba Area Public School District is asking voters to approve a renewal of the current 18 mills non-homestead operating millage.
This proposal will not impact taxes on residential property --only second homes, commercial/industrial properties are affected. This is not an increase, but a renewal of the District’s current levy.
The Non-Homestead Millage makes up approximately $3.8 million of the Escanaba Area Public Schools’ 22 million dollar annual budget. Renewal of the non-homestead millage will allow the district to maintain its current programs offered by the district. If this funding is lost, the district cannot replace it with any other funding source.
- This is a renewal of the current non-homestead millage, approved by the voters in 1997
- This renewal is for a period of 15 years
- This is a tax assessed against businesses and second homes, NOT a tax on homeowners
- All residents in the Escanaba Area Public School district vote on the renewal
- This money cannot be replaced by other funding sources